Sushi is a popular dish all over the world. In fact, sushi lovers can end up spending a fortune on it, since many of the leading sushi joints charge an arm and a leg for the freshest seafood and beautifully made sushi rolls. If you love sushi but you don’t know how to make it, then using the best sushi making kit can allow you to create the tastiest sushi in town, right in your own kitchen. These kits are designed for sushi makers of all skill levels, but the beginner will benefit the most from using one, since they offer a foolproof way to create beautiful sushi rolls by following a few simple steps.
Since sushi is now more popular than ever, there are dozens of kits to choose from, which can make choosing the right set an overwhelming, time-consuming process. That’s where I come in. I’ve tested out some of the leading kits on the market and found seven that have what it takes to turn out the perfect rolls, each and every time. I’ve also put together a buyer’s guide that will discuss the features to look for, how these kits work, and how to choose a model based on your skill level and the type of rolls you want to make.
The comparison chart below includes each of the kits that made it onto my top seven list, their best features, and their rating.
Sushi Making Kit Comparison Chart
Delamu Sushi Making Kit
This set includes a free PDF guide that will walk you through the sushi making process. The guide features easy to follow step by step instructions, which makes this set very beginner friendly. The guide also includes six simple recipes that you can try using your new kit. Each of the products in the kit are made out of all-natural bamboo. The high-quality bamboo material will not splinter or chip during use. The set includes:
- One rice paddle
- One rice spreader
- Five pairs of chopsticks
- Two sushi rolling mats
This package also comes with a one hundred percent money-back guarantee, so buyers can return the set for a full refund if they’re unsatisfied.
- Free PDF guide
- Includes six recipes
- Made out of all-natural bamboo
- Does not include molds
This traditional sushi making set is a great buy for beginners and experienced sushi makers. It contains all of the tools you’ll need to make the perfect rolls, however, it does not come with any molds, which may be a deal-breaker for some buyers.
Aya Sushi Making Kit
If you’re a beginner and you’ve never tried making your own sushi, then you’ll love this kit’s free tutorials that are hosted by a professional sushi chef. You’ll also appreciate the included bamboo rolling mat, sushi bazooka mold, the rice spreader, five sets of chopsticks, and the spatula. This kit has it all. The tutorial is very easy to follow and is hosted by a head sushi chef who will walk you through the sushi rolling process, so you can easily create professional quality rolls. Additionally, this set also comes with the perfect sushi knife, which is extra-sharp and features a nonstick coating that prevents the rice and fillings from sticking to the blade.
- Includes sushi bazooka
- Easy to use
- Free video tutorial
- Heavy-duty sushi knife
- Authentic bamboo rolling mat
- Knife handle is made out of cheap plastic
This beautiful set is available at an affordable price and is the perfect choice for the beginner who needs more guidance. If you want to make beautiful, authentic sushi in your own kitchen, then this kit, complete with a step by step tutorial hosted by a head sushi chef, is a great buy and a steal for the price.
Fungyand Sushi Making Kit
This is an all-in-one bazooka sushi making kit. It comes with everything you need to create the perfect rolls including chopsticks, a bamboo rolling mat, bazooka, avocado slicer, chopsticks holder, knife, rice spreader, and rice paddle. The products in this kit are made out of BPA-free food grade plastic and premium bamboo. The mats are assembled with high-quality cotton threads. The kit itself is very easy to use, thanks to the addition of the bazooka. You can choose to roll the sushi using the included mat or place the ingredients in the bazooka. To make a roll with the bazooka, you’ll need to load the rice and other ingredients, close the device and then squeeze out the roll. It’s that simple. It’s a great all-in-one kit.
- Easy to use
- Includes bamboo rolling mat
- Made out of authentic bamboo and food grade plastic
- Includes avocado slicer
- Rice paddle is very flimsy
This set is easy to use and includes a free avocado slicer, so you can quickly slice up a fresh avocado for your rolls. This traditional set also comes with a bamboo mat and a sushi bazooka, so you can experiment making rolls using both types of rolling methods. This set is perfect for sushi makers of all skill levels and it’s a great buy for the sushi lover who wants to learn how to make their own authentic sushi rolls at home.
TMKEFFC Sushi Making and Serving Kit
This sushi kit is designed for the sushi lover who wants to give making their own rolls a shot. This kit comes with some great extras including:
- Two pairs of chopsticks
- One rice paddle
- One rice spreader
- One rolling pin
- One rolling mat
- Two display dishes
The serving dishes are made out of ceramic and feature a beautiful, delicate design. Aside from the plate, each of the products in this set are made out of premium bamboo, which is one hundred percent natural and BPA-free. The high-quality craftsmanship of the mats will prevent it from unraveling, even after several months of use. This kit is more designed for the experienced sushi maker and does not come with any extras, such as molds or an eBook tutorial that would walk users through the sushi making process. However, the experienced sushi maker will appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship, the elegant design, and the high-quality bamboo tools and mat.
- Made out one hundred percent bamboo that’s BPA-free
- Includes several accessories
- Designed to last
- Beautiful craftsmanship
- Not recommended for beginners
- Does not include molds
- Tools and mat must be washed by hand
While it will definitely take some practice using the tools in this kit to create the perfect sushi rolls, this kit includes pro-quality sushi making tools that every cook will appreciate. This set comes with everything you need to create the perfect meal and it’s a great choice for family dinners, or any other type of special occasion.
Gen Sushi Making Kit
This kit comes with everything the beginner needs to make the perfect sushi roll, including four molds, a spatula, and a sushi knife. Unfortunately, this kit doesn’t come with a rolling mat, so the user will have to rely solely on using the molds to shape their rolls. The molds are available in different shapes including circular, triangular, square, and heart shaped. The included knife has a nonstick coating, which will prevent the rice and other ingredients from sticking to the blade as you slice up a roll. Each piece in this set is made out of BPA-free materials and are dishwasher safe.
- Includes four molds
- Knife has nonstick coating
- Low price
- Dishwasher safe
- Does not include a mat
This is a nontraditional kit, designed with the beginner in mind. The included molds will make it easier for the cook to prepare perfectly shaped rolls that will stick together and will not fall apart when slicing and serving. The included knife features a nonstick coating and a sharp edge, making it easy to slice through a roll without tearing the seaweed. This set is a great buy for those new to making sushi, or anyone who’s looking for a fast and simple way to create their favorite sushi in the comfort of their own kitchen.
Naker Store Sushi Making Kit
This set includes a variety of accessories designed for both beginners and experienced sushi makers.
This set comes with:
- Rice paddle
- Bamboo mat
The chopsticks, rice paddle, spreader, and mat are made out of one hundred percent bamboo. Because these accessories are made out of bamboo, they must be washed by hand and left to airdry. The kit also comes with a sushi bazooka. To use, all you have to do is add rice and the filling, close the bazooka, squeeze the tub and you’ll turn out some perfectly molded sushi rolls. The fact that this set also includes a rolling mat is great, since it will allow you to create a roll using the bazooka mold or you can choose to roll it by hand for a more authentic sushi night.
- Comes with sushi bazooka mold
- Includes bamboo rolling mat
- Set is made out of one hundred percent bamboo
- Set must be washed by hand
This set is perfect for both beginner and experienced sushi makers. It comes with everything you need to make the perfect rolls, including the popular sushi bazooka, a rolling mat, rice paddle, spreader, and more. This set is perfect for people who want to make fast and simple rolls, or anyone who wants to learn how to roll sushi by hand.
Suroy Sushi Making Kit
This kit comes with a beginner’s guide that walks you through the steps of rolling the perfect sushi roll. It’s made out of high-quality bamboo that goes through an additional process that’s designed to make it abrasion-resistant and more durable. Each of the sticks in the rolling mats have been polished carefully, so there are no splinters or burrs. The kit comes with a total of two mats, the beginners guide, a storage bag, one sauce dish, five pairs of chopsticks, one rice making tool, a rice spreader, and a rice paddle. The set is easy to clean and must be washed by hand in warm soapy water.
- Comes with beginner’s guide
- Includes two rolling matts
- Easy to clean
- Low price
- Does not include molds
This set is a great buy for anyone who wants to learn how to make authentic sushi rolls by hand. While it doesn’t come with molds, the beginners guide will be a huge help that will walk you through the process of rolling the perfect sushi that your family and friends will love.
Sushi Making Kit Buyer’s Guide
If you love sushi and you don’t want to spend your hard-earned cash every time you get a craving for some fresh sushi rolls, then learning how to make it on your own can be the perfect solution, plus, it will also allow you to make custom rolls, exactly the way you love them.
A sushi making kit is a great addition to any kitchen. These kits are designed to replicate the process you need to use to make the perfect sushi rolls. Most sets will include a rice paddle and rolling mat, in addition to soy sauce holders, knives, nigiri molds, and a user’s manual that will walk you through the steps you need to take to make different types of sushi. Before I get started discussing how these kits work and the features to look for, I’ll discuss some of the benefits they offer and why these kits are definitely a must-have for the sushi lover.
Sushi Making Kit Benefits
- This type of kit will help the rice to stick together, resulting in neater looking rolls.
- Using a kit, you’ll find tools that will make creating sushi a much easier process, compared to rolling them by hand.
- Many sets will come with alignment guides that will make it easy to divide a roll into individual portions.
- A kit can also be used to create your favorite rice dessert
- Using a kit will save you time and money. Instead of spending a fortune at your local sushi joint, you can easily learn how to make your own custom rolls in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- Many of the top-selling kits will come with molds that are available in a variety of shapes. This will allow you to get really creative and turn out some beautifully shaped, unique looking rolls.
- Many kits will include precise instructions and user tips that will allow you to easily create the perfect rolls while avoiding many of the mistakes that beginners tend to make.
Other Important Features
Below, I’ll discuss the different features and components to look for, in order to find the perfect kit, one that will make the entire process of creating your own rolls fun, simple, and easy.
Types of Sushi Making Kits
There are a couple of different types of kits to choose from: non-traditional and traditional. The type of kit you choose will be important and should depend on the kind of rolls you want to make.
A traditional kit comes with a bamboo mat, which is mold-resistant, but must be washed and dried by hand after use. Traditional kits will also include a rice paddle and are a more affordable option compared to nontraditional kits.
These kits will include mats and other parts that are made out of plastic. These kits are usually more durable compared to traditional sets and can be placed in the dishwasher, so cleanup is also easier. These are the kits that often include a variety of molds and other extra accessories, so these sets can be more fun to use compared to traditional models and allow you to get a little creative with your rolls. Typically, these kits cost more than traditional sets, since they include more parts and accessories.
Did you know that there are five different types of sushi? Sushi types include:
- Sashimi: This sushi only includes a very thin slice of raw fish that’s placed on daikon radishes.
- Nigiri: Considered the freshest type of sushi, it often includes raw slices of fish that are seasoned.
- Uramaki: This inverted sushi has the rice on the inside and the fish on the outside.
- Maki: This is the most popular type of roll and it includes fish and veggies that are wrapped in rice.
- Temaki: This sushi is rolled in a cone shape, which makes it easier to grip.
Kits for Beginners
Making rolls can be tricky, especially if you choose a traditional kit, one that doesn’t come with any molds for the rolls.
The first time, you’ll find that making sushi is a lot harder than it looks. Sushi making kits that are designed for beginners make the entire process much simpler. These kits allow users to make rolls with rice on the inside or outside.
They also often come with an eBook that allows you to follow simple tutorials on how to use the kits correctly, using a basic step by step process.
Inside a Kit
Most kits will include some accessories, although a nontraditional kit will come with more than traditional sets.
All kits will come with a mat that makes rolling sushi simple. The mats will be made out of bamboo or plastic.
Rice paddles are used to mix and spread the rice on sheets of seaweed.
Molds in a sushi kit can come in a variety of shapes including rectangular, circular, heart-shaped, and more. Sushi bazookas are a type of mold that streamline the roll making process, so all you have to do is load the mold with the rice and filling and squeeze on the tube to push out perfect rolls.
The extra accessories are designed to make the sushi making process easier. Many larger models will come with sushi knives, a variety of molds, soy sauce holders, chopsticks, chopsticks holders, serving dishes, and other great extras.
If you want to prepare a feast, then you’ll love the many authentic recipes that you’ll find in one of these kits.
Most kits are easy to clean. Bamboo cannot go in the dishwasher, so bamboo mats and utensils that are made out of bamboo should always be washed by hand in warm soapy water.
Plastic molds and rolling mats can be washed in the dishwasher, for easier cleanup. If you’re preparing rolls with raw fish, then it’s crucial that you clean the mat and all the tools used, thoroughly, in order to prevent bacteria growth.
Most kits will cost an average of $12 to $30. Higher priced kits will include more accessories, such as a variety of mold shapes, knives, and other extras. Traditional kits are more affordable, but they can be difficult for the beginner to use. Of course, even higher priced kits can save you hundreds of dollars a year if you’re someone that enjoys going out for sushi just once a week.
How to Make Sushi
- When using one of these kits, the first step is preparing the rice. To make the rolls, you’ll need to use sushi rice or jasmine rice. In order to make six rolls, you’ll prepare two cups of dry rice. The rice will only need to cook for approximately eight minutes.
- The best type of rice to use will be very sticky, so keep a bowl of water on hand to make the rolling process easier. If you’re using seaweed, then you should also have a towel close by so you can use it to dry off your hands before you arrange the seaweed.
- Make sure you have all of your supplies on hand, including the fish, veggies, and sauces. If you’re adding veggies to the roll, then you’ll need to cut the veggies into thin, long strips.
- If you don’t want to use raw fish, you can use canned tuna or smoked salmon. If you’re going to use raw fish, make sure the fish you purchase clearly states that the fish can be consumed raw.
- Next, you’ll place your seaweed on the mat. For sushi, you’ll need to use nori. If the seaweed picks up too much moisture, then it can make the rolling process very difficult, which is why you need to dry your hands off after working with the rice. If you use some plastic wrap on the mat, then add the seaweed, you’ll find that it makes it easier to cut the roll.
- Next, grab a ball of rice, placing it on the center of the sheet of seaweed. Dip your hands in the bowl of water and spread the rice out evenly across the surface.
- Now, you’re ready to add the filling. Place the strips of fish and veggies on the rice, in the middle. Take the mat, bringing it up and wrapping it around the ingredients. Focus on rolling the mat tightly so you’ll get a roll that’s firm and one that won’t fall apart when you try to cut it.
- If your kit includes a sushi knife, make sure that’s the knife you use to slice up a roll, since the blade will not stick to the rice. Before each cut, make sure you wet the knife’s blade for cleaner slices.
- The last step is getting a little creative with the garnishes and sauces. You can prepare some wasabi and pickled ginger on the side and drizzle some sauce over the rolls for added flavor and color.
- Make sure you avoid putting the rolls in the fridge right after you make them. Try to only make enough for your guests, since leftover sushi is never a good thing. Often, the rice will harden, and the fish and veggies will lose their flavor.
- Learning how to make sushi using one of these kits will be simple and fun. Often, beginners will have a terrible time creating a roll that doesn’t fall apart once it’s time to cut it up. These rolling mats and the included molds will help to eliminate this issue, so the rolls you produce can turn out beautifully. That’s not to say that there won’t be a learning curve in the beginning, so you may want to practice a couple of times before you decide to throw a sushi party for your family and friends.
The best sushi making kits will allow you to get creative in the kitchen and prepare your favorite sushi rolls for your next family dinner or party. These kits contain everything you need to prepare beautiful rolls that look like they’ve been prepared by a skilled sushi chef. This buyer’s guide is designed to help you choose a kit that matches your skills in the kitchen, the type of sushi you want to make, and can help you find a kit that will make your next party or family dinner a success.